Butternut squash soup with apple and fennel
By Chef Andrew Mersmann of the Red Feather
3 large butternut squash
2 cups diced apple
1 cup diced carrot
1 cup diced fennel
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 cup vegetable stock or broth
1 cup apple cider
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon agave syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. While the oven is heating, half and seed the 3 butternut squash. Rub the
insides with olive oil and lightly dust with cinnamon and nutmeg. Place
flesh side down on a roasting pan and roast at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or
until the flesh is completely soft.
3. Once cooled, scoop the flesh from the skin of the squash.
4. Combine squash with other ingredients in a stock pot and bring to a
simmer on medium heat.
5. Continue to simmer for about 30 minutes, adding water if the liquid
level becomes too low.
6. Blend the product in small batches in a kitchen blender.
7. Finish with a touch of cream and/or butter for added richness or
leave it as it is for a vegan product.